Skip to main content

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain.


The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals. 


Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.  


Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now. 


I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was not a happy camper


Right now, seeing my least favorite team in the league win it all is painful. Seeing everyone laugh at the Nets for taking Mikel Brown Jr. is awful. My life as a Nets fan is depressing. 


Mentally, reading all of these negative messages that are directed at the team is getting to me and it shouldn’t. Am I at fault for some of the decisions general manager Sean Marks has made over the past few years? Of course not because I’m not in charge, nor do I work for the organization.  


I think this championship is more personal for me because I’ve never liked the Knicks. Growing up, everyone in school was a Knicks fan for the most part, despite them being in one of their worst eras as a franchise. I also knew a kid who was a Milwaukee Bucks fan like huh? 


There weren't many people who I could talk about the Nets with and it sucked. Off the top of my head, there was one guy who was and he was actually a diehard fan like myself.   


Throughout the Finals, the one thing that was on my mind was the new fans. Would anyone become a Nets fan if the Knicks won it all? At this point, probably not.


In this area, people are either a Giants or Jets fan for the NFL, a Yankees or Mets fan for the MLB, and a Devils, Rangers or Islanders fan for the NHL. But then, when it comes to the NBA, everyone is apparently a Knicks fan.


“wHo CAres aBOUt the NEtS?” This statement is really dumb by the way.


Going to this year’s NBA Draft now, the reaction to Brown being picked sixth overall instead of Acuff is strange. There’s been mixed reactions regarding the selection and all the negative thoughts have come from Knicks fans.  


I get it, Acuff was phenomenal at Arkansas. That doesn’t mean he’ll necessarily pan out in the league. 


Truthfully, I watched more of Acuff than I did Brown so I know more about his play style. But, why do these personalities have to overreact like the Nets just killed someone? I’m also aware of the Nets’ drafting history so I can understand the frustration of some with this pick. 


The health of the fandom is at an all-time low and the outrageous takes from some are getting out of hand. However, I do feel like better days are ahead for this team. 


Earlier in the week, the Nets received Julius Randle and the 28th pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Chicago Bulls were also included to make it a three-team trade as the Nets traded longtime center Nic Claxton to the “Windy City” in the deal. The Nets eventually used that 28th pick on Iowa State forward, Joshua Jefferson. 


Technically, with the Charlotte Hornets trading LaMelo Ball to Minnesota, it is essentially a four-team deal now. Keith Smith tweeted about some of the trade details on Thursday.  


Despite the hate Randle has gotten from Knicks fans, and T-Wolves fans for his performance vs the San Antonio Spurs these past playoffs, he’s a good player. I thought the trade was not bad honestly and it could benefit the Nets moving forward. 


Financially, they are in a really good spot and they have picks that they can trade to get better players to strengthen their roster. There were even reports surfacing Friday in regards to Knicks center Mitchell Robinson, who the Nets may sign to bolster their frontcourt. 


Unfortunately, no matter what this team does, anyone with a voice will bash them. That to me is the sad part. Instead of remaining patient, people on social media or on TV will just criticize whatever the team does. 


It’s a sad reality for Nets fans who just want to see this team succeed. There are Nets fans who exist and are passionate about this team like myself. But, everything negative being said about this team right now is demoralizing. 


Again, better days are ahead and I truly believe that.

Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...