Skip to main content

A Look at the SEC in 2025

It’s time.


I have previewed the ACC, the Big Ten, the Big 12 and now it’s time for the last Power Four conference. The Southeastern Conference has been notorious for dominating the sport of college football for years. From a massive contract with ESPN to producing top-end talent year after year, people hate this conference for a reason. 


This offseason has only strengthened peoples’ displeasure and hatred for this conference. A large majority of the hatred this year stems from how the conference wants to expand and change the College Football Playoff format. You have Big Ten homers shouting at them, you have SEC fans clapping back, and then other fanbases are tired of this discussion. 


You have people calling their commissioner Greg Sankey worse things than some foreign dictators and the hate goes on and on. We hadn’t even reached the on-field side of things because everything off the field has erupted into an awful and ugly argument. The SEC is even getting their own Netflix show so there’s a possibility that some dude in England is going to learn about the conference. 


Usually for these previews I focus on five teams and talk about the biggest story surrounding them. I did it last year with a few teams and kept it short. However, I don’t have to follow a word limit anymore and my god every team in this conference has something to talk about. 


Look at Alabama for example. Heading into head coach Kalen DeBoer’s second season with the program, all eyes are on them to make the CFP. Even after going 9-4 last season, some fans were furious mainly because DeBoer failed to live up to the standard of Nick Saban.  


First off, it was DeBoer’s first season with a new program. Second, it’s virtually impossible to match the career success of Saban so Alabama fans need to relax. Third, DeBoer has been a winner at his previous stops like Washington and Sioux Falls so he knows how to build a culture.


With a talented freshman class coming in, the return of his offensive coordinator at Washington Ryan Grubb and stars everywhere on the field, they’ll be fine. You know who’s not, Auburn and Hugh Freeze.


Now, the past few weeks I’ve been focused on MLS and covering the Red Bulls so I haven’t really paid attention to Freeze playing golf. Dude loves playing golf which is fine, but the criticism alludes to him failing to recruit the 2026 class well. Heading into year three with Auburn, his program is 11-14 over the past two seasons and the schedule is difficult in 2025.  


From going to Oklahoma and Texas A&M in back-to-back weeks to hosting Georgia and Alabama, that’s not going to be easy. There’s also the question if Oklahoma transfer quarterback Jackson Arnold can spark something special on offense. With talented receivers in Cam Coleman and Georgia Tech transfer Eric Singleton and a great offensive line, maybe they’ll surprise some people. 


Staying on head coaches, while Georgia’s Kirby Smart and Texas’ Steve Sarkisian are safe for example, some are feeling the heat. Will Sam Pittman (Arkansas), Mark Stoops (Kentucky) or Brent Venables (Oklahoma) be able to find success in a stack SEC once again? Focusing on Venables, can he get the Sooners back on track with transfers in QB John Mateer and RB Jaydn Ott? 


Mateer is just one of the many quarterbacks in this conference fighting to be named the best out of all of them. We’ve seen years where a conference has so much talent at the QB position and this year is no different. DJ Lagway (Florida), Gunner Stockton (Georgia), Garrett Nussmeier (LSU), LaNorris Sellers (South Carolina), Diego Pavia (Vanderbilt) are just a few of them. 


But the biggest name in the SEC and in the sport this season has to be Texas QB Arch Manning. The hype around Arch is otherworldly. He was the main attraction at SEC Media Day and will be for diehard and casual fans this season. 


I guess with everyone in the college football sphere giving their opinions on the kid, I guess I have to as well. I think he’ll do well, but I think I want to explore this from a different angle. 


I’m a recent college graduate and college was not easy. From working many sporting events, to succeeding in the classroom and ignoring criticism from others, college can be tough. Junior year can be a year where students start facing pressure to produce and some often succumb to that pressure.


For Arch, the biggest advice that others have probably mentioned is to ignore the dialogue around him. Yes, Texas’ schedule is no easy task with games vs Ohio State and Georgia on the road. However, when former Texas QB Quinn Ewers was out with an injury in 2024, Manning gained valuable experience in the games he played in. 


The hype around Manning was always going to be there. He was the best player in his class, his uncles are Peyton and Eli and playing at Texas is a big deal. 


Will he be as successful as Ewers, Sam Ehlinger, Colt McCoy or Vince Young? Time will tell this season. But one thing is for sure, Arch is going to be the biggest name playing in the sport this season. 


I haven’t even mentioned the boatload of players that are going to be on full display this season. Alabama WR Ryan Williams, South Carolina edge Dylan Stewart, Texas linebacker Anthony Hill Jr just to name a few. 


Plus, teams like Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Missouri and Mississippi State all have their stories to look out for. Simply put, the story lines are more hard-hitting and notable in the SEC this season. To quote their entire marketing gimmick, “it just means more.”


Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...