Skip to main content

Are Alabama Fans Overacting A Little Bit About DeBoer?

For all the talk about Arch Manning and Bill Belichick this past week, I want to focus on one of the other major stories from the weekend. A certain program that starts with an “A” and has an incredible history lost on Saturday to a team that was 2-10 last season. Can you guess which school it was?


I’ll give you a hint. They expect way too much, they have what seems like a thousand sororities and when their fans speak, they're annoying. If you guessed the Alabama Crimson Tide, you’re right, but please don’t shout “Roll Tide.” 


Since legendary head coach Nick Saban left for basically College Gameday in 2024, it’s not hard to say their reign of terror is over. Last season, we saw them lose at Tennessee again, lose at new conference foe Oklahoma, and of course at Vanderbilt. Heck, they lost to Michigan again in a bowl game, albeit with less stakes. 


With how abnormal their 2024 season was, I made a joke for my show in a TV production class I took last spring about them. Surely though, with a whole offseason to prepare, you think Alabama would be ready to face a desperate Florida State team. Add on the extra motivation from Kyler Murray clone Tommy Castellanos, who was trash talking Alabama during the summer, and Bama was destined to win. 


But just like track star Noah Lyles, Castellanos backed up his words and led Florida State to a major upset on Saturday. Bama fans of course acted accordingly and understood the task for HC Kalen DeBoer is not an easy one. Living up to the standard of Saban or heck even Paul “Bear” Bryant is impossible so Tide fans are not mad. 


In a perfect world, those last two sentences would be true. In reality, Bama fans believe the world is ending because their program has collapsed since DeBoer came over from Washington. I’m sorry but just like Y2K did nothing to the planet, DeBoer is fine at Alabama. 


Look, I understand there was a certain standard set under Saban and seeing a player like Malachi Moore freaking out after losing to Vanderbilt last season was unacceptable. DeBoer is not Saban but my goodness, stop trying to say he is a terrible coach. He was a winner at Sioux Falls (NAIA) and was great at Washington. 


As a college football enjoyer, I understand what Alabama means to the sport, fans, and their entire state. In a state where there are virtually no major professional teams, the Crimson Tide are their pro team (sorry Auburn). Fans don’t want their beloved program to be irrelevant. 


I just think the pressure fans are pushing towards DeBoer is just ridiculous. You can say what you want about the trenches, receiver Ryan Williams’ play or quarterback Ty Simpson’s play on Saturday. Heck, blame DeBoer all you want because at the end of the day, he’s the head coach so he’s responsible for the loss. 


Maybe it’s just me man because I enjoyed DeBoer coaching guys like Michael Penix Jr. at Washington. Since I used Washington in dynasty mode in NCAA Football 14, I have a soft spot for them. I view them as my second favorite college football team behind Michigan State. 


I don’t hate DeBoer, which I have definitely said at some point when I wrote those weekly college football articles for WSOU last year. But, to be given a metaphorical “death sentence” by fans after one game to start the season is crazy. Maybe Mike Norvell and Florida State are better than their disastrous 2024 team and this loss for Alabama is not so bad. 


There’s no doubt Alabama will beat UL-Monroe and Wisconsin in their next two games. If the Tide loses at Georgia on September 27, maybe I will start to agree with some people. If they get embarrassed by Vanderbilt at home the following week, then I will start to criticize DeBoer more. 


Until late September/early October, this DeBoer hate-watching needs to slow down a tad bit. But, in order for that to be eliminated, the team needs to improve. From the coaches to the players, they have to learn from their week one mistakes quickly. 


Has Alabama fallen as a program? No, but don’t expect this to be anywhere close to the level of performance during the Saban years.


Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...