New Year’s Day 2025, one of the longest days of my life, in a good way.
Sometime after the start of the Peach Bowl, I made my way up the Garden State Parkway to get to Seton Hall. I was on my way to work the Villanova - Seton Hall Women’s Basketball game that evening in Pennsylvania. It was a long journey that ended in good fortunes for the Pirates.
As it’s pretty well known at this point, Faith Masonius hit an incredible game-winning shot for the Pirates. John Fanta’s call on FS1 was incredible, a fellow classmate of mine Chris Jones’ call was awesome for WSOU. For me, I was able to record Masonius’ shot on my phone which I will forever remember.
It was an amazing way to begin what eventually became the greatest year of my life.
However, there was something I missed earlier that day. In retrospect, the football game that I thought would be a classic ended up being a dud. Nonetheless, it’s the one game I love more than anything in sports.
My favorite sporting event is the Rose Bowl. As a college football fan, this is expected and not surprising at all.
If you were to tell someone what makes college football the greatest sport on Earth, tell them to watch this game. Specifically, tell them to watch the 2006 Rose Bowl featuring everything you could want in a game.
Superstars in Vince Young and Reggie Bush, check. A legendary announcer in Keith Jackson who was calling his last game ever, check. A national championship on the line, check.
It’s no wonder why 20 years ago on ABC the game drew a massive audience of 35.6 million viewers. It’s also why I bought a beautiful new cap honoring the greatest game in the sport's long, incredible but complex history.
The first time I watched the Rose Bowl game was in 2015 when the College Football Playoff started. Oregon, Florida State, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, enough said. Unfortunately it was a blowout, but watching that game at some millennial bar and grill place in Hackettstown made me realize something.
I have to watch this game every year.
So, I came back the next year to watch Christian McCaffrey and Stanford take down Iowa. Then, I watched one of my favorite games ever between USC and Penn State in the 2017 edition. Then, I was amazed by Oklahoma and Georgia in the 2018 rendition of the game.
I listened to Joe Tessitore’s radio call of Najee Harris’ hurdle in the car for the 2021 edition (game was in Texas because, well, COVID moved it). I was mesmerized by Jaxon Smith-Njigba's performance in 2022 when Ohio State won. I ended up screaming in agony when Michigan beat Alabama in 2024 (I hated that Michigan won).
The game extracts every type of emotion out of me.
Like many other college football fans, my dream is to cover “The Granddaddy of Them All” (have to say it like Keith). One day, I want to be one of the few people in the world who could say they announced this prestigious game. Like Chris Fowler, like Brent Musburger, and of course like the aforementioned Keith Jackson, that would be a dream come true.
In recent years, though, I’ve realized that if I get an opportunity to cover it as a journalist or photographer, that would be amazing as well. I’m being serious when I say I would rather call the Rose Bowl than the National Championship game. There’s a reason why my lock screen on my phone is the Rose Bowl.
It’s one of my main goals in life to cover such an historic event like the one that takes place in Pasadena every year.
Even though last year’s contest between Oregon and Ohio State was disappointing, I wished I still had watched it. In hindsight, the Women’s Basketball game I did was epic so obviously I’m not too mad. But, missing the Rose Bowl at the beginning of the year was weird.
Now moving into 2026, I can’t watch it live again on Thursday when Indiana faces Alabama. I’m out of college and now work a full-time job in retail. Because of my retail job, I missed numerous Saturdays this fall that I will never get back.
College football is my favorite sport by far and I just wish I didn’t have to miss my favorite sporting event again. I fully expect Thursday’s game to be an amazing one, even with rare soggy conditions expected.
In a time where the sport feels discombobulated, attacked and seemingly eating itself alive, the Rose Bowl game feels like a comfort spot for fans. While changes like moving up the start time of the game was criticized by many, the game is still the premier contest in the sport.
The San Gabriel Mountains in the backdrop, the atmosphere, the pageantry, the venue itself. The Rose Bowl game is in a league of its own.
If you’re a college football fan reading this, remember to watch it on Thursday. Gather with your family, friends, and other fans to watch this special event.
While you’re at it, watch the Rose Parade. It genuinely is the one parade I will watch.
Until it becomes a reality, I’ll keep on believing that my dream will come true. Here’s to 2026 becoming another great chapter in the history of this iconic event.