So Indiana. Why Indiana? No, I will not be singing Parker McCollum’s hit song (good song though).
Let’s not sugarcoat it, Indiana football has been a doormat for decades. You have heard it time and time again that they are one of the losingest programs in the FBS.
Even with head coaches like Lee Corso, Tom Allen and Bill Mallory throughout the program's long history, this was an impossible place to win at. Basically, men’s basketball, men’s soccer and men’s swimming and diving have carried the athletic department historically. Women’s basketball has also been successful for the school.
Then, Curt Cignetti came into town and basically turned around and brought life into this dead football program. Now, Indiana is five days away from completing the greatest story in college football history.
I never thought Indiana could compete for a national championship, especially when I was young. I heard Josh Pate say something a few days back where he always thought that the same teams would compete for championships and everything was set in stone. I felt the same way as a kid.
To put this in perspective, in middle school, I always expected Michigan State to be in contention for the Big Ten title. Flip it over to college basketball, I always expected Seton Hall to constantly make the NCAA Tournament.
To be honest, I thought teams that were always bad would stay bad because who wants to play for a bad team? As I grew older, I started to understand sports better and realize what it takes to get out of a terrible situation, like Indiana’s situation.
With Cignetti, I genuinely have not feared a coach or team this much outside of Nick Saban’s Alabama championship teams. But Kyle, what about 2019 LSU, Kirby Smart’s Georgia title teams or Urban Meyer’s Ohio State squads? Let’s look at the 2025 season for Indiana shall we.
They are currently 15-0, they are the number one team in the country, they beat Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship Game. They annihilated Alabama in the Rose Bowl and Oregon in the Peach Bowl. Did I mention their offense is lethal and their defense will break you?
Basically what I’m saying is, Miami (FL) is in for a war on Monday night against potentially one of the greatest college football teams of all time.
Let’s not forget Kirk Cousins 2.0 in Heisman Trophy winner Fernando Mendoza who is so gosh darn likeable and incredible to watch. I understand the comparisons people keep making between him and Joe Burrow when he won the Heisman with LSU in the 2019 season. Yes, their stats are completely different, but the impact they both have had on their programs is remarkable.
Seriously, if Indiana wins one of the most unexpected national championship games ever, it will be madness in Bloomington. Let's be honest, these fans deserve this title.
I will say this, lots of things need to be fixed immediately within the sport. NIL, the transfer portal, conference realignment, the standard stuff. With that being said, programs like Indiana and Vanderbilt have been able to flourish in this new era of the sport.
Remember, a lot of the players from this Hoosiers squad came over from James Madison where Cignetti previously coached. Linebacker Aiden Fisher, defensive back D’Angelo Ponds, receiver Elijah Sarratt and more understood Cignetti’s vision for success.
Heck, looking ahead to the 2026 season already, TCU quarterback Josh Hoover, Michigan State WR Nick Marsh and more are transferring to Indiana.
Back to the fans, what non-Indiana fans witnessed Friday at the Peach Bowl was years in the making. With an alumni base too large to count, it was finally their moment to shine after years of suffering through terrible football.
Monday will be a historic day in the history of this great sport. Yes, the Hurricanes are definitely annoyed that their team is not getting the same attention as the Hoosiers are. Miami’s run throughout this playoff after many thought they would not be included has been a fun watch.
With that being said, this is not Miami’s moment, even with the team playing in their home stadium. This is Mendoza’s, Cignetti’s, the program’s, the fanbase’s, and the state’s time to shine.
The greatest season in Indiana football will conclude with a natty Monday.