Let me start off by saying that North Dakota State moving up to the FBS level is an incredible move.
No matter what level the Bison have played at, they have always been winners. From the 2011 season to the 2019 season, the program won eight national championships at the FCS level. Including their two FCS Championships from the 2021 and 2024 seasons, the past 15 years have rivaled programs such as Alabama in terms of dominance.
It doesn’t stop there. The Bison are 9-5 against FBS programs since 2004, which have included wins over Kansas State and Iowa. Of course, the program has been responsible for developing NFL caliber players like Carson Wentz, Christian Watson and others alike.
When NDSU officially announced on Monday that they would be joining the Mountain West as an affiliate member for football, I wasn’t surprised. In fact, I smiled and said it was time.
Like everyone else, I saw the early reports surfacing late last week on my feed and I pretty much believed it. When you follow college football as much as I do, you know a reporter like Ross Dellenger is creditable and trustworthy with this information.
Looking ahead to the 2026 season, I do believe the sentiment that NDSU can be immediate winners, especially in a weaker Mountain West. With the likes of Boise State, Fresno State and San Diego State moving to the revamped PAC-12, NDSU chances of winning early are great.
With the success they have had, the Bison are trying to get the NCAA to allow them to participate in postseason play immediately. This includes conference championship games and the College Football Playoff. According to NCAA rules, teams transitioning to the FBS level have to complete a two-year probationary period.
I do think, though, the Bison will win their argument, considering they have a winning record against FBS schools. Also, the championships they have should help them get past this outdated rule.
Now that NDSU is now an FBS member, where does this leave their FCS rivals like South Dakota State, Montana, Montana State and others? At this point, it’s a matter of when these teams will make the jump.
As a known enjoyer of the University of Montana’s football program, the Grizzlies will most likely transition to the FBS in the next ten years. It also wouldn’t be shocking to see the Jackrabbits and the Bobcats head to the highest level of college football. This all goes to say, someone could make the jump as early as this upcoming season or in 2027.
Other programs such as Sacramento State have tried hard to become FBS members, which has manifested into a strange whirlwind of events. Then, fans have assumed schools like Tarleton State or Rhode Island could make a push for the FBS in the near future.
While I like the fact that NDSU is becoming an FBS school, I’ve started to think about the future of the FCS level. As the FBS continues to grow in numbers, the FCS now has to replenish by bringing up lower division schools. We now live in a world where Mercyhurst and New Haven are two Division I programs.
There’s also the thought I have had of whether non-football schools at the Division I will ponder the idea of creating or revitalizing a program from the dead. Operating a football program isn’t cheap so who knows what will come to fruition. I mean Chicago State, one of the poorest schools in the NCAA's top division, have started a football program.
The FCS is special and enjoyable and no one wants a waterdown product. Whenever I see an FCS team playing on a broadcast network like ABC, I’m elated.
But, considering the history and the culture NDSU has had, it was time for the FCS’ best program to make the jump. If they do become eligible for postseason play right away, they will be in the CFP within the next two seasons.
The addition of NDSU to the FBS will be a healthy one for sure. In this era of college football, NDSU has a lot working for them. The transfer portal will be beneficial, they’ll have more exposure under the Mountain West’s new TV deal, and their new conference is winnable.
I’m excited for this new era of Bison football and you should be too. But, let’s hope the FCS’ future is still bright.
Just imagine there was no more FCS and it was just like every other sport at the Division I level. I wouldn’t be shocked if that were to occur within the next decade.