Skip to main content

A Return to March Madness Possible for Seton Hall and Holloway?

Time passes quickly and as I was driving up and down I-287 Thursday, I was thinking about two things. For one, I thought about the fun stuff I did in March 2022 as a first-year student in college. Second, I thought about the last time Seton Hall head coach Shaheen Holloway made the NCAA Tournament. 


The famous Elite Eight run Holloway had with Saint Peter’s was something I will never forget. I remember the night that Holloway and the Peacocks beat Zach Edey and Purdue in the Sweet Sixteen. 


You know how much I remember Friday, March 25, 2022? I woke up early to record Muhlenberg football’s spring practice, went back to bed, worked on some homework and then that night happened.


That Friday night, I hung out with my friends at one of their homes. The Purdue-Saint Peter’s game was on and the twins I was friends with, their dad was really excited to watch the game. I believed he said he was from Nutley, but he was definitely from North Jersey.  


From eating crêpe, to watching 90s Goosebumps to seeing Holloway, Doug Edert and KC Ndefo beat Purdue, it was an incredible start to that weekend. It eventually became one of the best weekends for me at Muhlenberg. 


Then, Holloway goes to Seton Hall. Then, I transferred to Seton Hall. I didn’t transfer to Seton Hall because of Holloway, but the timing of everything was hilarious in retrospect.


Yet, Holloway hasn’t been back since that magical season with the Peacocks. Seton Hall, who also made it back in the 2021-2022 season, hasn't been back either.


Holloway's tenure as the coach of the Pirates has gone as follows:


22-23: 17-16 (10-10 BE) NIT Appearance 

23-24: 25-12  (13-7 BE) NIT Champions

24-25: 7-25 (2-18 BE) We never speak of this season ever again


Currently in the 25-26 season, the Pirates are 20-10 (10-9 BE) and were ranked at one point this season. Outside the NIT championship season, this is Holloway’s best shot to get back to the NCAA Tournament.


As a SHU grad, I am biased and hope Seton Hall becomes the fourth team in the BIG EAST to make the field. Having covered the team a lot this season, this squad Holloway has assembled is one that embodies him. As a result, you have a better, well-trained, more respectful and excellent group of individuals who are more enjoyable than last season’s squad.


I took a look at some of the players who left following last season and I am thankful a lot of them are gone. Watching Najai Hines play this season is beautiful. Having to watch Emmanuel Okorafor last season was painful.


In the current day, the Pirates are one day shy of playing one of their most important games of the season. 18th ranked St. John’s will be in Newark on Friday and the Pirates hope to cap off their regular season with a major victory. It will be a victory that for their resume, will help their chances of making the NCAA Tournament. 


But, I get it. Rick Pitino and Zuby Ejiofor are two of the biggest names in college basketball and SJU are no doubt one of the best teams in the nation. Plus, spring break is going on right now at Seton Hall so on paper, the Pirates are underdogs. 


However, the late 9 p.m. tipoff, mixed with a possible crowd of 9,000 could provide interesting results. Non-students are also reportedly being allowed to sit in the student section.


Jerry Carino posted on Twitter on Thursday about the expected crowd on hand. 9,000 people would be amazing.


If Seton Hall were to come away with the win, it would be a Quad 1 victory. This would of course be the first step in helping their chances of making "The Big Dance.”


As it stands, Seton Hall still needs to get some work done within the next week to help them get into the tourney. A great run in next week’s BIG EAST Tournament should help them mightily. Ideally, though, winning the conference tournament would be better, which is possible for them to do.  


So, after writing all of this down, do I believe Seton Hall gets in? I’m optimistic they can get the job done. 


If the Pirates get in, it would be an awesome moment for Holloway. To take the school he played for to perhaps the greatest tournament in sports would be incredible. 


Now, please don’t ask me about the College Basketball Crown. Not ready for that conversation if they have to play in that.


Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...