Skip to main content

Finally Lacrosse Time

It’s time to discuss one of the spring season’s biggest sports at the high school and college levels. Lacrosse! 


Last year, I had a great time covering the sport from all different angles. I photographed a memorable game between Delaware and Monmouth during Easter weekend. I wrote articles for WSOU and TAPinto ranging from CJ Kirst to a high school playoff game. 


I was able to attend the Kirst Cup where I saw my high school, Seton Hall Prep, become the best team in the state. I was shadowing a multimedia reporter for the contest so I obviously couldn’t cheer for the high school I am an alum of. 


The coverage didn’t stop there. I was also at Rutgers in July photographing The Garden State Cup. 


The only thing I still have yet to accomplish with my coverage of lacrosse is announcing a few games. I’m hoping that this spring I can call a few awesome games here in New Jersey, one of the hotbeds for the sport.


In 2026, however, it’s felt challenging trying to cover the sport I have created a great appreciation for. For some reason, at a time where the sport is bigger than ever, my algorithm refuses to showcase the sport to me. I follow Inside Lacrosse and The Lacrosse Network on Instagram so I should be able to see it more on my feed. 


From what I have seen this year, the biggest talking point highlighted by many, like ESPN’s Anish Shroff, has been the coverage and visibility of the sport. 


College lacrosse is situated in a strange part of the college athletics calendar. The season usually starts late January, early February. Essentially, the first few months are battling, and losing against some big time college basketball conference games. 


By the time the NCAA Tournament in college hoops is completed for both men’s and women’s, the lacrosse regular season is almost over. Factor in college baseball and college softball, lacrosse is seemingly forgotten. 


The coverage of lacrosse in recent years has improved dramatically, thanks in large part to the Premier Lacrosse League (PLL). Games are literally being shown on ABC. Yes, a broadcast TV network. 


Unfortunately, there are still massive issues hurting the visibility of “the fastest game on two feet.” Shroff on a podcast a few weeks ago addressed a thing that has annoyed lacrosse fans for forever now. If you guessed roughly every game starting at the same time, you are correct. 


Shroff made a lot of great points on The Ride: Lacrosse Podcast and it’s a must listen.


There’s also the matter that most games are behind a subscription on a streaming service. This includes ESPN+, FloSports, B1G+, even random and suspicious streaming services no one has heard of.  


The game, at the college level at least, should have more national television appearances outside of ESPNU, ACCN and BTN. I’ll be honest and say I rather have a massive college lacrosse game on ESPN or ESPN2 than an SEC college baseball game. 


This brings me to something that I have been monitoring for a bit now. The game between #1 Notre Dame and #2 Richmond was facing a difficult situation which has since been resolved as of Wednesday. 


If you haven’t been following, this game had no broadcast partner for the longest time. Imagine if a 1 vs 2 game in college football was not shown on television. Fans would be hunting down the people in charge of that decision. 


Luckily for Notre Dame and Richmond, the game will air on ACCNX on April 4 at 12:30 p.m., live from Evanston, Illinois. 


While it’s great that the problem got resolved, this should not have happened in the first place.


What bothers me about the coverage of the sport is that some people say it’s not warranted and that it’s a “niche sport.” Believe me, I did a presentation in my journalism class last year about lacrosse and my professor had the audacity to say negative things about the game. He previously worked close to an area known for lacrosse so I didn’t understand his reasoning. 


On a personal note, I have tried hard to keep up with what’s currently going on in college lacrosse and lacrosse in general. Life does happen of course. From working retail to covering college basketball and MLS, I haven’t had the time to sit down and watch a complete game this year. 


My goal this spring is to capture the magic of New Jersey high school lacrosse, whether it’s through writing, announcing or photography. High school lacrosse, which I never played shockingly, has become something I know a lot about. Going to SHP did help greatly and knowing the guys who played the game were friendly definitely allowed me to like the sport more.


Whether it’s as far as Sparta with Pope John or in Union County with Summit and Westfield, I want to give the sport the coverage it deserves. This sport is amazing and more people should be entertained by it. 


Be ready to see more lacrosse coverage on my part over the next few months. Maybe PLL potentially?

Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...