Skip to main content

No Treasure on Seton Hall's Island

Adam “Budd” Clark. 


This was a guy that I thought would be an incredible addition to Seton Hall’s men’s basketball program when I watched his highlight tape last spring. When the Pirates got him via the transfer portal, I was beyond excited. 


What I saw this season from Clark was impressive. An excellent defender, a good shooter from mid-range, a terrific distributor. Truly, his pairing with head coach Shaheen Holloway was a match made in heaven. 


After an amazing bounce back campaign from the Pirates, fans were excited to see what the offseason would bring for the program. With many speculating that Clark was a guarantee to return for the 2026-2027 season, it appeared that no drama would unfold.


Only one problem, Clark isn’t coming back. What? Huh?


Yes, that’s right. ESPN’s Jeff Borzello reported last Thursday that the All-BIG EAST Second Team guard was entering the transfer portal. 


Genuinely, I didn’t want to believe it but unfortunately, it’s real. Pretty much, an agreement could not be made for Clark to return to South Orange. Jerry Carino documents the whole situation pretty well in his published piece from last week so it’s worth taking a read. 


This is a really boomer take from myself but hearing “agreement” or “contract” for a college athlete is really, really dumb. I have always believed college athletes should get paid, just through things like endorsements. Hearing a player sign a new contract to stay at their current school does not sound right.


Of course, money and Seton Hall is something that has not jelled well the past few seasons, especially in the era of NIL. All my life, I was under the notion that Seton Hall had a lot of money. A private, catholic institution in New Jersey having a lot of money makes sense. 


Compared to schools in the Big Ten and the SEC, though, Seton Hall is not even in the same stratosphere as them. 


In this era of college athletics, Seton Hall is in a difficult spot. Their best players transfer elsewhere and they can’t afford any of the top transfer portal entrees basically. 


Besides Clark, names like Tajuan Simpkins, star freshman big Najai Hines, Godswill Erheriene and Jacob Dar have all entered the portal the past few weeks. Hines was notable because he was a fan-favorite in his first season with the Pirates and was a local product as well. Imagine how many more Clark to Hines plays there could have been had they both not left South Orange. 


This is unfair to Holloway who has tried pretty much everything to compete in this era of college basketball. How is it his fault that guys like Dre Davis, Kadary Richmond and Isaiah Coleman leave? It should be on the school for not having enough financially to bring them back.  


Honestly, money should not be a factor in the first place. You can definitely blame the institution’s higher ups. But, to some extent, the players who are asking for contracts way above what they are worth deserve the blame as well. 


Holloway was the BIG EAST Coach of the Year for a reason this past season. He can develop young, talented and respectable athletes that play their butts off. He’s been able to do a lot with less talent like during his time at Saint Peter’s.


The transfer portal, mixed with having a small roster budget, has ruined the University’s ability to compete and get into something special like the NCAA Tournament. Men’s basketball is the campus’ most prized sport and yet here we are again with players leaving for bigger schools.   


Holloway isn’t the only coach on campus dealing with the same issue. Women’s basketball head coach Tony Bozzella has lost multiple players to the portal this offseason including Jordana Codio, Zahara Bishop and more. Imagine players like Savannah Catalon or Jada Eads hitting the portal on some random April afternoon. 


Both men’s and women’s soccer programs have had an influx of transfers throughout the 2020s. On the men’s side, head coach Andreas Lindberg has done well, all things considered, with the team appearing in the NCAA Tournament last fall. For Josh Osit on the women’s side, it has varied.


Former outfielder in baseball for Seton Hall, Aiden Robbins, has been amazing with Texas this season. With the success he’s having in the SEC, why would he have stayed in South Orange?  


I can end it there and say it’s a school issue that their best athletes are leaving year in and year out, but I’m not. Specifically looking at the BIG EAST in men’s basketball, this offseason so far has been brutal. 


Here’s a list of notable names transferring out from their schools: 


Finley Bizjack (Butler, transferring to West Virginia)

Owen Freeman (Creighton)

KJ Lewis (Georgetown)

Malik Mack (Georgetown)

Stefan Vaaks (Providence, transferring to Illinois)

Oswin Erhunmwunse (Providence, transferring to Creighton) (Staying in the BIG EAST)

Eric Reibe (UConn)

Acaden Lewis (Villanova)

Bryce Lindsay (Villanova) 


For a conference that gets consistently disrespected, this isn’t helping.


Back to Seton Hall, is there any hope for the future for this proud program? Will fans, including myself, ever see another BIG EAST Tournament Championship? Are they just a feeder program at this point?


Let me say this, considering how well Holloway recruited the portal last offseason, he has the ability to do it again. He can find the guys that fit the system he wants to play. He also has incoming freshman guard Darien Moore coming to the program so he can potentially be a vital piece for the team. 


Although not much is known about what new general manager Nelson Hernandez will be assigned to do, he will potentially assist Holloway with recruiting. 


The cards are really stacked against Holloway and the program, but the portal works in strange ways. You can be a top transfer prospect and not live up to expectations. You can also be a prospect that no one knows and all of a sudden become a household name. 


The loss of Clark hurts, but I do believe better days are ahead for the program.

Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...