Skip to main content

Bradley Ball Will Be Successful in Harrison

Red Bull New York, or the New York Red Bulls to some still, have had quite the start to 2026. Currently sitting sixth in the Eastern Conference with a 5-5-4 record, good for 19 points, the general opinion on the club has been mixed. 


One minute, everyone is praising the stellar play of the youngsters like Julian Zakrzewski Hall and Adri Mehmeti. The next minute, the supporters think that the sky is falling. 


As someone who was covering Red Bull up until earlier this month, my opinions kept swaying and I felt convinced by the fans to align with them. But, after a few weeks where I was watching as a fan and not as a reporter, I still believe that the team can be great. 


Since their loss to FC Dallas, Red Bull have rattled off three fine results in league play. This includes two victories against Chicago Fire FC and the Columbus Crew, but also a frustrating draw to rivals New York City FC last Saturday. Again, for the doomsday fans on Twitter/X, this team is not bad.


Obviously, the play I witnessed in March and late April was not pleasing to the eye. From what I’ve seen from Red Bull the past three matches, they have the ability to deliver. Designated player Jorge Ruvalcaba has shown some quality and Cade Cowell appears to be getting into the groove of things. 


For head coach Michael Bradley, this is his first season as the first team’s head man. As both a fan, and throughout the past few months as a lead writer covering the team, what are my thoughts on him?


I actually like a lot of what he has done for the squad. The attack in many matches like against D.C. United has been good. 


Now it’s worth noting that the play of Hall has been a major reason for their success. With nine goals in MLS play, his speed, his understanding of the game, and his energy have worked nicely with what Bradley has implemented. A 4-3-3 formation is what Bradley has mostly utilized throughout the season and with a quickster like Cowell finding Hall, scoring isn’t an issue. 


I’ve really appreciated him believing in young midfielders as well such as Ronald Donkor and Mehmeti, who have put forth solid campaigns. In the case of Mehmeti, the kid has what it takes to succeed in Europe and follow in the footsteps of a former Red Bull midfielder like Tyler Adams. I said this before and I will say it again, having Bradley as a coach, who also played the position, is beneficial for a player like Mehmeti. 


Now, let’s address the elephant in the room again. The backline.


I think what non-Red Bull fans need to understand is that the way the team plays is why they have allowed a lot of scores. Individually, Justin Che when he plays has been their best defender. Robert Voloder, Tim Parker, Dylan Nealis to name a few have played well at times. 


But, whether it’s opposing size, athleticism, speed, or IQ, the opposition has found ways to counter New York’s backline. Especially at the tiempo New York operates at, there’s bound to be mistakes. 


As someone who values excellent defensive play, the high-scoring attack, mixed with a lackluster defense is something that annoys me. It will take time and when and if the backline improves, so will the results. 


Then, some players such as DP Eric Choupo-Moting have been given less playing time. With Hall’s amazing play up front, Choupo-Moting has seen his contribution dwindle in 2026. In fairness to him, he saved New York from losing to Toronto FC and scored a penalty vs Chicago. 


Bradley has addressed questions regarding his DP and obviously fans have complained. When a star player is sitting on the bench making a lot of money, I can understand fans’ frustration. 


The next point has nothing to do with Bradley but with Emil Forsberg. There have been murmurs that Forsberg has looked disinterested on the pitch which I honestly don’t believe. When I watch New York’s captain, I see someone who is determined to give their all in every match. 


Forsberg’s time with New York has been interesting to say the least. Still, Bradley believes in the Swedish international, even if 2026 has at times been frustrating. 


Given where Red Bull is heading into the World Cup break, I’m here to tell fans to believe in Bradley’s vision. Listening to him back in January made me convinced that he’s the right man to lead this group. 


Remember, it’s only his first season as a head coach in MLS. He guided Red Bull New York II to a title last fall so he understands how to coach winners. It helps too that his father is coaching great Bob Bradley. 


After this Saturday’s contest vs Sporting KC, Bradley will have a lot of time to review what has been working and what hasn’t. The second half of the MLS season will prove that Bradley is a great coach and will prove that major success is in his future.

Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...