Skip to main content

No First Overall Pick For Brooklyn in the 2026 NBA Draft (Will the Misery End?)

Being a fan of the Brooklyn Nets is truly an experience of agony and confusion and it will have you questioning whether you should be a basketball fan or not. 


The Nets have been and will forever be my number one sports team. The Devils, the Ravens, Red Bull, Michigan State, and Seton Hall could all theoretically win championships, but the Nets winning the NBA Finals would top all of them. 


Unfortunately, this team’s luck is disgustingly horrible and I just wonder, what did I do to deserve this? They moved from New Jersey to Brooklyn, they had that horrendous trade with the Celtics in 2013, Kevin Durant’s foot was on the line. Surely, after years of tanking, The Basketball Gods would bless this organization with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft, right? 


Looking back at 2025, I was really hoping that the Nets would land Cooper Flagg with the first pick. Of course, the Nets got the eighth pick and selected Egor Dëmin out of BYU. I believe Dëmin will do great things, but Flagg was phenomenal in his rookie season and he ended up winning Rookie of the Year.


Ok, so after another rough season, it looked possible that the Nets could get the first pick. Fans heard all season how amazing the freshman class was in college basketball so surely, the Nets would be blessed with one of the top players come June. Draft analysts have considered Duke’s Cameron Boozer, Kansas’ Darryn Peterson and BYU’s AJ Dybantsa to be the top three players in this year's edition. 


For me, I never wanted Peterson on the Nets, mainly due to his injury problems that riddled his freshman campaign. I wouldn’t have minded Boozer honestly, I just wished I watched more of his games at Duke. Dybantsa, though, I begged and prayed that the Nets would land the number one pick to select him in June. 


On the court, Dybantsa is an athletic, explosive, scoring beast who I thought would have taken BYU to great heights this past season. He was the leading scorer in the nation, an All-American, and he battled through a competitive Big 12 and non-conference slate.


Off the court, AJ seems like a genuinely great person. Very friendly to others, very social online, very intelligent, possess great leadership qualities. Even with him leaving college early, he promised his mom that he would finish and get his degree soon. 


After seeing all of this, I hoped that the Nets’ fortunes in the Draft Lottery would help them land the lustrous first overall pick. Seeing my teams pick first overall is nothing new. The Devils selected Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes first overall in their respective drafts and look at how they have done in the NHL. 


As I was bored at work on Sunday, I constantly kept checking my phone for any alerts on the Lottery, hoping to see these words. “The Brooklyn Nets will be selecting first overall in the 2026 NBA Draft.” 


Then, I got a text. That’s when I realized something awful had occurred. Turns out, the Nets will be selecting sixth overall in this year’s Draft. 


There’s a clip of Rick Pitino after St. John’s lost to Creighton a few seasons back and well, I felt how he felt after that loss. 


After finishing with the third worst record in the NBA, the Nets will be picking sixth instead of having a top-3 pick. To say I am beyond frustrated is just a mere fraction of what I am feeling. 


First off, I will support this team no matter what happens. Having been a fan of them for a long time now, I have been through everything with them. 


What disappoints me is how unlucky this franchise is. For once, I want fans, like myself, to experience the euphoria that fans experienced in the early 2000s.


Imagine being a fan in New Jersey from the years 2001 to 2003. The Nets reached back-to-back NBA Finals with the likes of Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Kerry Kittles, Richard Jefferson.and others.


Given that I was born in July 2003, I was never able to watch my team in the Finals. By the time I was in Kindergarten, the team was back to being average. Also, I don't want to talk about them going 12-70 in the 2009-10 season. 


Sunday’s Draft Lottery proved once again that no matter what this team does, nothing will change. From some mock drafts that were published, experts have Illinois’ Keaton Wagler and Arkansas’ Darius Acuff Jr. being selected by the Nets. Honestly, given that they both had awesome seasons in college hoops, that makes me a little pleased. 


Then, I realized, we took four guards last year. Wagler and Acuff Jr. are both guards by the way.


I really wanted to talk about how special of a fit Dybantsa would have been in Brooklyn. Unless Brooklyn trades up, there’s absolutely no chance he slides to the Nets at six. 


For Washington Wizards fans, be glad that an outstanding player is coming to your team with the first pick. For a diehard Nets fan like myself, I will continue to pray for good days ahead. 


I am mentally preparing myself for the moment the Nets make a dumb trade for a star player because the Knicks somehow won the Finals.

Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...