Skip to main content

Red Bull Comes Home With a Win, Beating Sporting KC in The Sunflower State

KANSAS CITY, KS - Have you ever been to America’s Heartland?


In the span of two years in the early 2010s, I traveled to Kansas and Nebraska to see my uncle. As someone who was born and raised in New Jersey, it was a literal culture shock. 


Now of course if I were to ever live in that area, I would fit right in given that I am a massive college football fan. I’ve seen Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium on a busy Saturday afternoon, but never Kansas’ home field, David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium. 


Speaking of the Jayhawks, do you recall the time in 2024 when they played some non-conference home contests at Children’s Mercy Park? Known as Sporting Park today, Kansas Football played two games there while their stadium was getting renovated. I’m sure their friends Sporting Kansas City didn’t mind. 


Hey, speaking of Sporting KC (3-9-2, 11 pts), they faced Red Bull New York (6-5-4, 22 pts) in a clash of two original 96 teams on Saturday night. For New York, they finished the first portion of the Major League Soccer (MLS) season with a 2-1 win over the home side. 


What deserves the most attention from this match was the play of designated player, Jorge Ruvalcaba. Following their loss to CF Montréal at home in March, I asked head coach Michael Bradley a question regarding Ruvalcaba and Cade Cowell. It was something along the lines of “what more do you want to see out of them" given that, for Jorge in particular, he hadn’t scored at that moment.


That was March 8 and now, Ruvalcaba has seven goals in league play. Saturday, Ruvalcaba earned his second brace of the season. 


The scoring came early for Ruvalcaba when he laced one in to give New York a 1-0 lead in the fourth minute. Then, in added time of the first half, Ruvalcaba, off a great pass from the team’s leading goal scorer in Julian Zakrzewski Hall, made it 2-0. 


Ruvalcaba entering the World Cup break has certainly been worth the money he was paid.


Unfortunately, I can’t say it was a perfect game for Red Bull. Simply put, given that SKC might have one of the worst rosters in MLS, I expected more from New York. A win is a win, but the second half wasn’t great for New York. 


SKC had multiple chances to create brilliant moments. But, to the relief of New York, SKC was called offside a few times. Except, in the 64th minute, Calvin Harris scored to make it 2-1. 


Like the famous DJ of the same name, he did it his way, chipping it past New York goalkeeper Ethan Horvath. Side note and not anything soccer related but I prefer the DJ’s “My Way” over Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.” Ok, back to the pitch. 


Even after a disappointing second half, New York prevailed. The last half of the match did see defender Julián Bazán make his MLS debut. 


Notably, midfielder Cam Harper made his return to MLS Saturday after suffering a right knee injury last June against Austin FC. Harper had been playing with the second-team recently and he nearly scored in his return with the first-team.  


It’s now breaktime for Red Bull as their season will pause for two months with the World Cup coming to town. Their next match will be July 22 (my birthday) when they face the Philadelphia Union on the road.

Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...