Skip to main content

A Massive 2026 Season Ahead for the Washington Huskies

For any high school football player looking to play at the next level, why wouldn’t you pick the University of Washington? Furthermore, if you play there, why would you want to leave a storied program like the Huskies?


I have a soft spot for Washington. The 2016 Huskies are one of my favorite teams in the history of the sport. The likes of Jake Browning and John Ross III took the former Pac-12 school to the College Football Playoff and I loved it. 


When I got a hold of NCAA Football 14, I used Washington in Dynasty mode and I had so much fun with them. I had (and possibly created) a tight end from Alaska who won the Heisman in the mode and he was genuinely a cheat code for me. 


As an East Coast guy, I would love to visit Husky Stadium for a game one day. Maybe announce a game there when the time comes too. 


But, while I was studying up on this team, I truly could not understand why quarterback Demond Williams Jr. nearly left the Pacific Northwest this offseason. 


Looking back at 2025, the Huskies finished the season 9-4 (5-4 Big Ten), winning the LA Bowl over Boise State in the process. For the most part, the Huskies took down everyone they were supposed to beat. Unfortunately, in games vs Ohio State, Michigan and Oregon, they fell flat and lost to all of them. 


Do not remind Washington fans about their road loss to Wisconsin though. That was a strange one by all means. 


For Williams, he started all 13 games and posted a statline of over 3,000 passing yards, 25 passing touchdowns and a 69.5 completion percentage. When he agreed to terms to return to the team this offseason, fans were excited that he would be back in Seattle for another year. 


However, things almost imploded. 


After signing that contract to stay at the school, he entered the transfer portal a few days later. What transpired next was truly an egregious mess that nearly got serious. In an article published by ESPN’s Pete Thamel in January, a source told the network that an expected destination for Williams was LSU. 


It would not be surprising to know that there is a timeline somewhere in which Williams plays for Lane Kiffin in Baton Rouge. Thankfully, Williams proceeded to announce on Instagram that he would return to the Huskies in 2026. 


I’ve said this many times before but, hearing a player sign a contract in college sounds wrong. Had Williams left the program, disaster was knocking at Washington's front door. 


Imagine being head coach Jedd Fisch in this situation. This period in early January must have been very stressful for him in what is already an exhausting time for the sport. 


Nonetheless, Williams remains at Washington, but not without his critics. Listening to Scott Eklund of Dawgman.com on CBS Sports’ Cover 3 College Football Podcast the other day, he said that the locker room was fine. However, it’s the fans who are not happy with what occurred this offseason. 


On the field, Fisch has been vocal about Williams needing to step up in those big time moments. Many want to see Williams help the program beat teams that they are not necessarily supposed to beat. In 2026, the teams that experts expect Washington to lose to include the likes of the reigning national champions Indiana, Oregon and USC. 


Fortunately for Washington, the games are won on the field and not on paper. They can prove many people wrong this season and show why they are a double-digit win team. Offensively, production will need to be replaced. 


Running back Jonah Coleman and receiver Denzel Boston are now in the NFL which means, new faces need to step up. Ideally, Adam Mohammed would have replaced Coleman nicely at RB, but he transferred to California during the offseason. 


Looking at the receiving room, some consider it a position full of inexperience. Sophomore WR Dezmen Roebuck does look ready, though, to break out and become a top threat for the Huskies. 


On the offensive line, two names will be critical for the Huskies as they look to make the CFP this season. First, sophomore John Mills was impressive for Washington in his first season of college football as he earned True Freshman All-American recognition from On3 in 2025. He, by all means, has the potenial to become an All-American in 2026.


Second, the arrival of five-star freshman Kodi Greene is a huge addition for the team and he will surely make an impact for Washington this season and beyond. 


Defensively under former Purdue HC Ryan Walters last season, the Huskies were one of the nation's best. Finishing 12th in rushing defense and 15th in scoring defense respectively last season, the defense is expected to be good once more. 


Specifically at linebacker, the likes of Xe’ree Alexander, Jacob Manu and Zaydrius Rainey-Sale will terrorize opposing teams. 


What it simply comes down to for Washington in 2026 is whether or not Williams can elevate this program to the next level. While this is a lot of pressure to put on a young QB, he essentially put a target on his back because of what occurred during the offseason. He rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way and if he doesn’t perform well, I advise him to avoid social media for a while. 


In the end, achieving a record between 8-4 and 10-2 in the regular season is probably what occurs for the Huskies this season.

Popular posts from this blog

Rutgers Football Down at The Bottom of The Raritan River

Genuinely, you have to feel bad for Rutgers fans.  First and foremost, I am a Seton Hall grad. Every time I think of that school from Middlesex County, my blood boils. However, Thursday was at first hilarious, then depressing. By now, Rutgers losing to UMass has made its rounds nationwide. Everyone from ESPN to Fox News mocked the Scarlet Knights for losing to quite literally, the worst team in the FBS the past decade.  Fans were in disbelief, alumni were outraged, and journalists like Jerry Carino bashed their effort. The only reason the reaction has died down slightly was because Michigan, Oklahoma State and Florida State embarrassed themselves over the holiday weekend.  Still, when you pay a team $1.55 million and lose to them, you are simply going to get mocked for that. From my perspective, seeing Rutgers lose 37-21 to the Minutemen was one of the highlights of my weekend. Remember, UMass had not won a game since 2024 so for them to earn a win against Rutgers made ...

Week Zero Tomfoolery in College Football

First off, welcome back college football! After seven long and agonizing months away, your buddy’s favorite sport returned to bring peace back into this world. Truly, the shenanigans that just occurred throughout week zero were simply incredible.  From USC’s questionable attendance to Beau Pribula and Virginia beating down NC State, week zero was in a way, hilarious. Yours truly has his thoughts on what may be his only free Saturday this fall. Enjoy! College Football, meet Trent Mosley: Lincoln Riley’s time in the “City of Angels” has been strange. Even with him developing a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback in Caleb Williams a few seasons ago, somehow, Riley has still not brought the Trojans to the College Football Playoff (CFP). As a blue blood in the sport, the fact that they still have not made the playoff since its inception is ridiculous.  For the 2026 season, expectations are high for USC. With another talented QB in Jayden Maiava, this by all means has to be the seaso...

The Nets to Progress in 2026-27

Whether you were in New Jersey or New York this summer, there was probably a celebration for the New York Knicks going on. After winning the NBA Finals back in June, fans of the Knicks were the happiest they have ever been.  Everyone in the city and the region was seemingly happy about this. Everyone besides Brooklyn Nets fans.  For the Nets fanbase, it was torture day and night. So much so that owner Joe Tsai admitted that it was embarrassing when he spoke to NetsDaily back in August. The 2025-26 season for the Nets was a difficult one no doubt. Finishing with a 20-62 record, the Nets were surprisingly not the worst team in the Association. That honor belonged to the Washington Wizards. For the Wizards at least, they were able to select the talented AJ Dybantsa with the first overall pick in the 2026 NBA Draft. Many Nets fans prayed that they could have landed the first pick but, it was never meant to be.  Despite being in a rebuild, despite their rivals winning the cha...

Enough With The Anti-Nets Discourse

So, the New York Knicks are NBA Champions. Pain. The past two weeks for me as a Brooklyn Nets fan have been exhausting. Everyday, I’ll be on Twitter or Instagram doomscrolling and seeing stuff about the Knicks winning the championship and how it brought everyone together. Seriously, there were people I know who don’t even watch the NBA who posted about the Knicks winning the Finals.  Even at work, I can’t go one second without a bunch of managers laughing at my face because the Knicks won the title.   Then, I read about the Nets and yikes. I’ve seen everything from people calling them "irrelevant," to telling them to relocate, to telling them that no one in the area will ever choose them as their NBA team now.  I had to listen to Stephen A. Smith, Bill Simmons and Adam Schein criticize the Nets and at this point, it’s beyond annoying. When I watched Schein’s video suggesting the Nets should cease operations after not taking Darius Acuff Jr. in the NBA Draft, I was no...

A Muhlenberg Football Retrospect

Five years ago, my college journey began earlier than most.  While everyone was at the beach, buying stuff for their dorms or sleeping in until noon, I was heading to training camp for football. This time, I had a different role.  My time in high school football with Seton Hall Prep was… terrible. Putting it lightly, I was awful as a receiver. Seriously, I genuinely might have been one of the worst players in all of New Jersey from 2018 to 2020. During those three years, I dreaded going to training camp and in 2020, I knew my playing days were up. Despite having some aspiration to walk-on at the next level, that is not how it played out.  Instead, I took a unique path that I still look back at to this day. I decided I wanted to work for one of the best Division III football programs on the East Coast in Muhlenberg College. When August 11, 2021 came, I was the happiest I had been in years.  Now, why Muhlenberg? Why some private liberal arts college in Allentown, Penns...